Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Working it out


Proofs

I've made the plates and have proofs of all three sections of the image. I'm happy with the results but now the moment of truth is at hand. Will I be able to do what I originally planned and link up the three sections?


The first step was to trim the prints at just the right point. I need be able to sew them together without running into any difficulty at the folds.

Trimmed sections



I have a feeling this is going to be really time consuming and labor intensive for an edition of 40, considering I need to print three separate plates for each print, trim them, and stitch them together. I'm using Hahnemuhle Copperplate paper, which is a decent weight, so cutting & folding will be slow going. As soon as the prints are dry, I'll do a test to see if I can stitch through the paper with my sewing machine.

Test piece.


Here's the results of trimming and taping the proofs together. Fortunately, the sections line up as intended but I'll need to be really careful with the folding so all the outer edges line up.

I still need to settle on an ink color. I like the carbon black; it has a sinister look about it which I like with the subject matter but I'll do a few more proofs with different inks to make sure I'm ready to edition.

Now that my plates are finalized, I'll cut all the paper to size so it's ready to go when I am.

I'm trying to make as much headway as I can because my second grandchild is due any day now and I'll need to abandon my studio for Boston to look after Phineas while his sister makes her arrival. Exciting time ahead for sure!!


No comments:

Post a Comment