Tuesday, January 5, 2021
Thursday, September 3, 2020
It's the beginning of September and as a former teaching artist, it's a month I've always associated with new beginnings and fresh starts; a perfect time to begin a new print.
I'm working from a couple of Mark Twain quotes for my inspiration.
"In my age, as in my youth, night brings me many a deep remorse. I realize that from the cradle up I have been like the rest of the race - never quite sane in the night."
"How stunning are the changes which age makes in a man while he sleeps!"
For reasons I can't really explain, I identified with both of these quotes and realized that this was an opportune time to play around with a self-portrait. I started with some sketches and photos, downloaded and manipulated them in Photo Shop, arrived at a composition that held promise and created a film for exposing a photopolymer plate.
|Just processed photopolymer plate.|
The plate printed really well and I was pleased with the first proof. Now to determine ink color and whether or not to hand color areas or add chine colle'. Definitely off to a fresh start.
Thursday, July 9, 2020
Wednesday, July 8, 2020
The theme is Connect; an exhibition prompted by the theme of “communication”. Artists are challenged to create cellphone-sized plates with a variety of “messaging,” “news,” or whatever they want to “post.”
Staying connected to family and friends has been a challenge with social distancing in place. There are so many guidelines in place that I felt that a "connect-the-dots" would emphasize the fragile maintenance of connections.
This is the first proof of my 4'x6" image. I'm thinking of ties that bind, so the plan is to add thread to connect the dots.
Thursday, June 11, 2020
I haven't done any monoprints in awhile so my original intention was to create a series of unique prints based on a single theme rather than print an edition. Right now I have a few interesting images and lots of ideas for directions in which to take them.
This is the newest addition to the series. I feel everyone is attempting to navigate this "new normal" as best they can and by whatever means they feel necessary. It's a precarious balance between shutting yourself off from life and venturing out while trying to avoid hazards. The faces in this series are, for the most part, purposely silhouetted; they could represent anyone and everyone.
This one will offer a few different approaches as well so I need to just sit with it for the time being.
There is definitely plenty of time for the studio.
Like Covid-19, my pandemic series is growing.
I wanted to try a different approach to my social distancing piece so I created two separate plates and printed them side by side.
Since it was always my intention to tear a gap between the two images, it doesn't matter that you can see where the two plates meet.
A smaller plate of the Covid-19 virus was printed on rice paper and a second print had rubber stamped houses added.
After carefully tearing the prints, I added the two different virus images from behind. Things look promising.
The best thing to do now is to live with these images for a bit and consider my options.
Monday, June 1, 2020
New week, new print in the works.
I wanted to do a piece referencing social distancing, since we're all experiencing separation anxiety in one way or another. I've given this image a lot of thought and wanted to try something different. So lots of experimentation is required before the piece is resolved, which means sacrificing a few prints.
I'm keeping the rope web theme of the previous pieces but want to tear into this print and add other elements. There's lots of different directions I can go with this one so I'm planning on doing this as a series of monoprints. Besides, it will be next to impossible to get each tear the same for an edition.
The first tear was the hardest; trying to get it just so. This seems too wide but I wanted to see how a print of the virus would look added behind the print.
I then tried a double print. The virus plate was printed on one side of the paper and the figurative print on the other. Since I was considering leaving the torn curl of paper on the print, this allowed me to have an image on the back side of the torn piece. I liked this but will need to make the torn shape a bit larger, or the virus print a bit smaller, to be effective. I may even decide to eliminate it altogether.
Next experiment, a rubber stamp (made from an eraser) of a simple house shape. This was printed on Awagami paper and placed in the void. This looks promising too.
At the moment, lots to consider as I grapple with this piece. Looking forward to a week of experimentation.