Friday, January 19, 2018

Changed Direction

So I thought I had something promising in the works, but I ended up not being happy with the image.

I tried different inks and even added some chine colle' but it just wasn't working. I've often found that with exchange prints, the small print size can be problematic for me; some ideas just don't translate well.

So I decided to work up a different sketch and focus on a different exchange challenge to see what developed. The maximum paper size is 5" x 7" so I made my image is 3" x 5".

The image was in response to feeling frustrated by the never ending entanglements and manipulations made by our government officials, as highlighted by the daily news. Each day there is more drama as an ineffectual administration tries to govern. I envisioned a master puppeteer trying to control those around him but failing miserably as lie after lie shrouds everyone in a web of chaos.

Exchange prints give me a chance to use up scraps of photopolymer plates; perfect for the Leftovers VIII Exchange by WingTip Press. The trouble is, I never know if these scraps are still viable so I'm always happy to end up with a successfully processed plate.

I was much happier with this image and by noon I had an edition of fifteen. Now to trim, add a bit of hand coloring with watercolor and then sign.

I'll revisit ideas for the Emerald Print Exchange later.

Monday, January 15, 2018

Second Print Exchange for 2018

Wing Tip Press has an annual print exchange called Leftovers. Two prints are reserved for traveling exhibitions and one print is reserved for a silent auction to support Idaho Hunger Relief Task Force.       
I've participated in Leftovers for a few years and find it a great way to use up studio leftovers; small plates, papers, inks and even leftover ideas. Also, I do this to jump start my productivity after a break and to use the deadline to keep myself focused on putting in some quality studio time.

I worked up a few sketches and scanned them into Photo Shop for experimenting and tweaking. Once satisfied, I printed them out on transparencies and exposed a solar plate.

The plate looks pretty good but you never know until you pull a proof. I'm planning on using color so I decided on two plates. I'll trim these and see what develops.

All in all, not bad progress for a laid back Sunday afternoon.

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Finally Printing

Spent a rainy afternoon in the studio and actually got something accomplished. After spending the last few months in caregiver role, it felt good to grab a block of time to print.

Since its been awhile, I decided to start small. I enjoy participating in a few print exchanges so my focus was to produce an edition for the 2018 Emerald Print Exchange.

I had a sketch ready to go so it was a matter of creating the plate. I tried a couple of different adjustments in Photo Shop, burnt a plate and pulled a proof. Came to the conclusion that sometimes you can tinker with an image too much and less is best.

After pulling a couple of additional proofs I was ready to go.

The guidelines for the exchange state that the image is restricted to a paper size of 5" x 7". This plate is 3" x 3". By the end of the afternoon, I had the required edition of 10 completed.

For "Incognito", I went with Akua Intaglio Carbon Black on Arnhem heavy white and added chine colle' for the shade.