Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Last Print Exchange in the works

I'm working on the final print exchange that I had planned on participating in this year; 9 IN HAND PRESS' 3rd Annual International Print Exchange.

This one caught my eye because it's a much larger format that the average print exchanges, which usually require the paper to be 5" x 7" or smaller. The paper for this one is 11" x 14" and image size is up to the artist. I've been working on the image off and on and finally started printing the edition of 15 today. The March 31st deadline is looming but I think I can pull it off.

The image is based on one of my body prints, which was photographed and reduced in size using Photoshop. I'm using a Solarplate and printing with Akua ink.

 I'm happy with the stark simplicity of the falling figure in a field of black.


Having Fun

I find that working on miniature prints, for print exchanges, are a great way to play around with ideas and have a bit of fun. I just completed my edition for the Green Door International Print Exchange.

The small size requirements allow me to use up small scraps of plates and papers and the actual printing goes quite quickly. It wasn't long before I had the edition completed.


The plate itself is 2.5" x 3.5" and the required paper size was 5.5"x 5.5". 

I created a drawing based on sections of an old corset, scanned it into Photoshop, sized it and printed out a positive on Mylar. Once the edition was completed, I decided to machine stitch a strip of cotton lace to the image.  The final result, "Underpinnings".