Saturday, February 8, 2014

Time to step back.

This morning I played around with adding machine stitching to the image using a heavy decorative thread. I added a straight stitch and a zig zag to the print and both worked as I had hoped.

Next, I carefully folded the print every six inches. I used an old dental tool to lightly score the surface to make sure I got the best crease possible. Once I had the two folds done, I trimmed the top and bottom edges of the print and was happy to see everything lined up correctly and I did indeed end up with a 6"x 6" sqaure.

Folded print.

I had also decided to cut out 3 sections along the top edge of the image. I liked the way it broke up the long horizontal line.

Folded and trimmed with some experimental stitching added.
Now my dilemma. I had originally planned to add a watercolor wash to a few areas of the fabric.

Proof with watercolor wash.

Once I had, I wasn't sure that was the way to go. I tried adding watercolor to a second print accenting  only the ribbons. At this point, I'm just not sure which way to proceed so I think it's time to step away from the image for awhile and hopefully, when I come back to it, I'll be able to resolve the issue.

Painted ribbons.
Sometimes it takes a fresh perspective, so if you've been following along, any feedback would be greatly welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment