Thursday, September 22, 2011

It's all in a mornings work.

After looking over my proofs and reworking the plate, I was happy with the image and decided to move ahead with editioning. Since the size of the print is limited to 3"x3", and there was a lot going on in my image, I though it best to do a bleed print.

I used Akua carbon black ink and added a little magnesium carbonate to stiffen it slightly. The plates were wiped with pages of old phone books and printed on dry Hahnemhule Copperplate paper. Once I got started everything went smoothly and by noontime I had my edition completed.


It was always my intention to add a bit of color so once the edition was printed, I went back and hand-colored the prints with watercolor.


Now to walk away and let everything dry.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Just wondering how you manage to print several prints onto one sheet without transferring back the ink? Also how do you keep your paper moist? Never done this before--only with a multi-plate single print. Any suggestions? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill.
    I use Akua inks. This allows me to print on dry paper and I like to use Hahnemuhle Copperplate.

    If I'm using damp paper, I soak every other sheet in a water tray for a few minutes and then alternate the wet and dry sheets in a stack. The stack is wrapped in plastic, a flat board is placed on top, and then a weight is placed on the board. I usually let this sit over night and the next day the paper is perfectly damp and requires no blotting.

    ReplyDelete