Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I can't stop.


This past week I was excited to receive the 2011 "Littlest Print" collection. This year's challenge was to create work that dealt with "Accessibility" and it was interesting to see how 50 printmakers interpreted the theme.

I find "The Littlest Print" a fun exchange to participate in and have done so since its inception in 2009. I don't know what it is about exchanges but to me it's like eating M & M's; I can't stop. With The Littlest Print, it's the challenge of creating an interesting 3" X 3" image and the discipline of producing an edition of 50 prints.

I recently told myself that I wouldn't do any more exchanges for awhile, since I have limited studio time, yet as soon as I read about the 2012 challenge I found myself working up ideas for a print. The next thing I know, I have an idea, sketches, and a plate ready to proof.


The 2012 theme is "Proclamation & Propaganda". I tied this in with my Venus Envy series and played around with the idea of "one size fits all"; propaganda for sure! I combined an image of an old dress form with various body shapes and ended up with a composition that I feel fits the exchange theme.

After playing around with my sketches and settling on an image, I created a negative. ImagOn was adhered to a sheet of Plexiglas and the plate was exposed to the negative and processed in a soda ash bath. I'll let it sit over night and proof the plate in the morning and if I'm satisfied with the image I'll decide whether or not to begin printing for next years exchange.

No comments:

Post a Comment