Monday, September 12, 2011

Inkteraction Exchange Portfolio


Last week I had a little time away from my construction duties to focus on a studio project that had a September 30th deadline. Having signed up to participate in an Inkteraction exchange project called "Navigating Currents-100 Inkteraction Reactions", I was relieved to finally have time to print my edition.

Inkteraction is the web’s largest community dedicated specifically to printmakers with members spread out across the globe. The site acts as a central meeting place for printmakers to share their work, ask questions, and share knowledge and exhibition opportunities. In essence, Inkteraction is "a port in the storm that is the internet". When producing work for the portfolio, the challenge was to consider how the theme of “Navigating Currents” relates to the mission of Inkteraction.

I played around with a few ideas and finally decided to keep my image on the playful side. As a kid, I remembered passing carefully folded notes back and forth to communicate with my friends. Playing off of this, I decided to use paper airplanes as message conveyers and incorporated maps depicting a variety of currents. I had a new graphite colored ink from Akua and liked the idea of using this color as a reference to note taking.
ImagOn was applied to a sheet of plexiglass, my image was exposed and developed. I inked and wiped the plate with the graphite ink then applied a surface roll of pale blue gray ink. The 5"X7" image was printed in an edition of 15 on Hahnemuhle Copperplate.


"Conveyance" is the finished print.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing your thought process. Love the movement in the print.

    ReplyDelete