Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Local Traffic Report

I finally finished my piece for this summers "Inklings" exhibition at the National Children's Medical Center in Washington D.C. I had initially planned on using two plates; one for color and one for line work. However, after pulling my first prints, I wasn't happy with the outcome and decided to change course. I switched over to Akua Intaglio Inks for heavier coverage & less bleeding into the paper. I like the painterly quality of the new print and felt that it didn't need to be over printed with line work.

It seems like I've been working on this project forever and have changed course a few times along the way. What initially started out as a screen print changed into a combination monotype/monoprint and eventually ended up as a straight monotype. Stepping away from the project for a few days and convincing myself to just have some fun, really helped me to move forward with the print.

This piece was based on a pile of old Matchbox cars and I think its a light hearted interpretation of an everyday occurrence that many endure: "commuter traffic". I'm hoping it will appeal to both kids and adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment