Saturday, January 15, 2011

First Print Exchange of 2011

I stumbled upon an interesting print exchange a couple of weeks ago and decided to make it my first of 2011. The idea was to use leftover paper scraps (no larger than 5” X 7”) to create an edition of 14 prints. Of course, it would be easy to just bypass the leftovers and start with a fresh sheet of paper but I decided to embrace the concept and approach it as a great opportunity to use up some studio leftovers. I ended up using scraps of Arches, a 3” X 4” scrap of Solarplate, some leftover Akua ink I had mixed for another project and finally some leftover cotton cord.

I photographed of one of my body prints and manipulated it in PhotoShop to create a mirror image. It was printed out on acetate and exposed to a scrap of Solarplate. After processing the plate in warm water and re-exposing it to ultraviolet light I was ready to print. “Gap”

When the prints were dry I cut out the negative space between the figures to leave a gap. I hit the center fabric image with a watercolor wash, punched a few holes, added a couple of metal eyelets and finished with a bit of thread for lacing. This piece is a continuation of my “Venus Envy” series. I liked the idea of trying to make something fit but sometimes, no matter how you go about pulling it together, you often end up with a gap.

I have come to look at print exchanges as an opportunity to try out ideas in a small format; kind of like miniature “print / sketches”. They often lead to larger pieces or similar techniques used in future prints.

The due date for this particular exchange is March 15, 2011 so if you have some leftovers, you might want to put them to good use.


  1. I am also participating in the leftover project and am a retired art teacher now concentrating on my own art. Glad to have you on board.

  2. Very nicely done! I hope I'm fortunate enough to end up with one in the exchange!