Monday, October 28, 2019

Toyobo Photopolymer Plates

Toyobo plates are similar to other photopolmer processes in that a film positive is used to create the image, the plate is exposed to an ultra violet light source and processed in a water bath. What stands out though is the level of detail and clarity they are able to capture.


Of course, the success of the plate depends on the quality of the film positive. The Zea Mayes workshop provided me with a number of good tips for using Photo Shop to create the best possible positive.

My first test plate was based on a straightforward photo of an old mannequin. The proof shows that all the subtle detail was captured. (The white streaks are scratches on the film that happened during the ink jet printing.)


My second test plate was based on a collage of images that I had manipulated in PhotoShop. I was curious to see if all of the detail would be transferred to the plate and I was really pleased to see the result. All of the values and detail that were in the original image showed up on the plate. Pretty impressive.

My next step is to order a few Toyobo plates and see if I can replicate the results in my own studio.

There are a few variables that are different from my studio to Zea Mayes. They use a different aquatint screen than I do, print their positives on a different film using an inkjet printer, and printed the plates using oil based ink. I use a Dove screen, Duralar film and a laser printer and use Akua ink. It will be interesting to see how things work out.

That's the joy of printmaking.... experimenting with new processes. I'm just happy to be able to work again.

No comments:

Post a Comment