Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Working it Out


Once the proof was dry I experimented with manipulating the print. My goal was to fold the sections flanking the figure in such a way that they could be folded back to reveal the tape measures and at the same time emphasize the idea of being "cinched" in; ribbon was added to hold the folds in place.

It was my intention to work in a 12" square format and have the image bleed off the edges. I thought I had measured correctly but ended up an inch short when the folding was completed. I printed just the tape measure portion of the image and machined stitched it to the right hand edge to make up the difference. This turned out to be one of those happy accidents because the added tape enhanced the composition.

Right now, I'm at a point where I just need to step back and analyze what I have and decide whether or not to continue or chalk it up as an experiment. Although I like the effect of the folding, I'm not completely happy with the way the image printed and I think I will alter the colors a bit. Sometimes I'll try something just to work out the kinks and then end up redoing the entire image. Well see.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Melody,

    While it is hard to see the image without a close up pic, I think you work is amazing! I have watching for a bit as "laced" unfolds and I really like the direction you are going. I like the experimentation and inclusion of a 3-D effect. Happy accidents lead to larger discovery in printmaking. Keep it going!

    Michelle Turbide

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle. Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated. (Click on the image & you'll get a close up.) I plan to reprint & play around with this when I get back from a trip next week. I think it's worth not giving up on & I do like the concept of folding the print.

    Hope your printmaking is going well; it is doable with a babe around:)

    ReplyDelete