Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Back in the studio.

There's nothing like spending a productive day in the studio. I finally had time to make progress on an image that I had set aside during the summer. It's based on a photo of the room I stayed in while in Hawaii. I loved being on the 27 floor and the sense of being up in the clouds and away from everything.

I manipulated the image in PhotoShop and printed it out on acetate. After making a small trial plate, to test the exposure time, I went ahead and adhered the film to plexiglass. As I was proofing, I had one of those "ah ha" moments when I spotted a scrap of that non-skid backing used under throw rugs lying on the counter. I placed the plate on the rubber surface and easily wiped the plate without it skidding around. I don't know why I hadn't thought of this before but I will definitely used this on a regular basis.



My original intent was to work in black and white but decided to see what it would look like with a little color in the window area. Using the Chine-colle' technique, I first tried a Japanese paper but the color was too strong. I ended up using Rives cream colored printing paper and was happy with the subtle hue. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chine-colle' for a quick description of chine-colle'.

1 comment:

  1. This is a really lovely print Melody. Definitely one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete